2013/12/21

Okayu with various toppings

Jook: in Korean
Okayu: in Japanese
Congee: in Japanese
Rice Porridge: in English (?!?)
 
When I was younger, my mom made rice porridge when I'm sick or when I don't have appetite.
Right now, I'm not sick or don't have appetite.
Actually I have heavy appetite and had about 4-5 big meal today with chocolates..
 
I found my rice that I froze about a week ago, and I decided to make rice porridge.
I melted the rice and combined it with fresh soaked water.
My leftover rice was not enough to make the rice.
 
Wash 2 cups of rice and soak it with cold water about 1 hour.
After that, put the rice cooker in Rice Porridge mode.
If yours doesn't have the system, cook it in a deep pot with about 2:5 ratio of soaked rice and water in medium heat.
When you cook the rice on a pot, it will take about 30min.

As a topping, you can topped anything you have on hand.
I prepared salmon flacks, beaten eggs with a pinch of salt, chopped and washed chicken breast, and thinly sliced and chopped carrots.
 
Sauce: soy sauce, sesame oil, shichimi

Make egg scramble

Cook the chicken well.

Cook the carrots with little bit of oil.
 
When the rice is ready, prepare and enjoy.

 I also added some umeboshi as a topping.
Also, when the taste is too bland add the sauce.

Somehow, I can't work with the camera light!!!!
Photography is so difficult.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congee is Chinese, not Japanese. Just letting you know. This looks amazing! Gonna make it tonight.

Ryan said...

The Japanese name is Okayu, but it goes by Congee, Jook, etc. Many cultures have a rice porridge, including Japan, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and even Portugal.